How to Safely Recharge an ODYSSEY® Battery
Before beginning the charging operation, carefully read the instructions that come with the charger. Never attempt to charge a battery without first reviewing the instructions for the charger being used.
In addition to the charger manufacturer's instructions, the following general precautions should be taken:
- Always charge batteries in a well-ventilated area and wear proper eye protection
- Turn the charger and timer "OFF" before connecting the leads to the battery
- Never try to charge a visibly damaged or frozen battery
- Connect the charger leads to the battery; red positive (+) lead to the positive (+) terminal and black negative (-) lead to the negative (-) terminal. If the battery is still in the vehicle, connect the negative lead to the engine block to serve as a ground. If the vehicle is positive grounded, connect the positive lead to the engine block
- Make sure that the leads to the connections are tight
- Set the timer, turn the charger on, and slowly increase the charging rate until the desired ampere value is reached
- If the battery becomes hot or if there is violent gas or electrolyte coming from it, immediately reduce the charging rate or temporarily halt the charger
- Always turn the charger "OFF" before removing the charger leads from the battery
Safe Booster Cable Operation
When jump-starting, always wear proper eye protection and never lean over the battery. Do not jump start a damaged battery.
Inspect both batteries before connecting booster cables. Be sure the vent caps are tight and level, and place damp cloths over the vent caps for both batteries. Make certain that the vehicles are not touching, and both ignition switches are turned to the "OFF" position.
- Connect positive (+) booster cable to positive (+) terminal of the discharged battery
- Connect other end of positive (+) cable to positive (+) terminal of assisting battery
- Connect negative (-) cable to negative (-) terminal of assisting battery
- Make final connection of negative (-) cable to the engine block of the stalled vehicle, away from the battery
- Start vehicle and remove cables in reverse order of connections